Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Disposable Diapers

For years now we have been blessed with having immediate repercussions if we don't eat an extremely healthy diet.  So much so, that it had been years since I ate anything artificial.  Then somehow or other we ended up with a strawberry starburst in my path.  I remembered having loved the chewiness and the yummy strawberry flavor.  Strawberries are my favorite!  So much so that in summer we sometimes live off of Strawberry ice cream made in the vitamix with simply frozen strawberries and homemade yogurt.  So, I thought, who would know?  It isn't like I personally will go crazy if I eat this.  Maybe it would be good for me to eat it, as then there would be no chance of my daughter coming across it!  Ya, that's it, I would cheat for her sake!

So I ate it.  And it was the yuckiest thing I had tasted in a long time.  I guess after 2 or 3 years of an absolutely pure diet, and with spoiling myself and the kids with real strawberries so often, fake strawberry food coloring packaged 10 years ago and it doesn't matter, flavor, just doesn't taste good anymore!

It used to, when I would cheat at the very beginning.  I think it took 2 or 3 years for my tastes to change.  But now, cheating is just no fun.  Why bother to cheat with a diet, when it doesn't even taste good?

I was reminded of this recently when I took out the recycle.  You see I sometimes cheat with things besides high fructose corn syrup.  Every time I "cheat" and use disposable diapers, I am all too soon reminded of why I use cloth.  Contrary to even my commercial fed imagination, disposable diapers do leak, they do have blow-outs, they are never absorbent enough for the whole night (cloth, you can make them so), they give diaper rashes, stink like cloth never did, are stiff and must be uncomfortable to wear, and worst of all, no matter how you hide them, you are storing a weeks worth of human waste every single week you use them.  This last one is the one that reminded me of it never being any fun when I do give in and cheat, as I accidentally dumped the recycle in the outside garbage can in the middle of the night in the dark.  Fretting over the thought of all that sorting going to waste, it wasn't until after I dove in after it that I remembered that we had been using disposable diapers lately.

The laundry pile, swollen with the swift current of umpteen kids with the stomach flu, needed to be sorted anyway.

I love sorting laundry!  I love the different textures (we don't keep stuff with yucky textures).  I love the smell of the outdoors from the clothesline, or the warmth and floofiness from the dryer.  I love the feeling of opening presents as I find long lost friends, like my favorite diaper covers.  Cloth just feels so good, and is so much fun to put on my babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment