Saturday, August 17, 2013

The freedom of Privacy

Along with free natural air, earth, water, noise, etc.  I believe all people should have the freedom of privacy.  It would be nice if everybody was afforded the luxury of not being in public when they didn't want to be.  But this is not what I am talking about.  What I am talking about isn't really privacy, so much as control.  It is offensive when there are laws requiring the masses to surrender some of their privacy.  It is also offensive when surrendering some privacy is demanded in order for those without money to obtain help.  But these are not the biggest problem.  The biggest problem is when this surrender of privacy is used to allow or not allow people to do things. In short, to control them.  It is one thing for people to have to surrender privacy in order to be allowed to do something, and quite another when this surrendered information is then examined and judged to see if the person should be allowed to do the thing.  If I am able to provide for myself, there may be laws regarding what I can and cannot eat, but my individual choices within those laws are my own business.  If, however, for any reason I cannot provide for myself or my children, I have to pass off what I eat to my beneficiaries.  Whether it is the govt. providing me food, or someone else, my benefactor can ask for my privacy in trade for food, and I can choose to trade it or not.  But if I want food, and have no other means of getting it, I not only have to trade whatever privacy is demanded, but my benefactor can then judge whether I deserve food and what food I should be allowed to have.  When a person is dependent on another person for something like food, even if the food is free, it is often in exchange for their freedom of choice.  I am not arguing here for how fancy of food one should be able to get and choose, but whether one should be able to make their own decisions about food.  Like whether to fry or scramble an egg.  When people are in situations where they are dependent on others for basics, they are at the mercy of those they are dependent on as to whether they are able to use their God given gift of decision making. 

No comments:

Post a Comment